Do you share the sentiment shared by many of the patients who come to see me?
"I have been suffering from depression for many months now. It has affected my work and my relationships. I can't seem to enjoy the things I used to or do things I would like to. I did not talk about it with my doctor because I was ashamed to admit it. I thought it was my weakness and I should be able to overcome by myself. When I did talk to my doctor and he advised me to see a psychiatrist, I resisted for many months. When I started having suicidal thoughts recently I got scared and called for this appointment. I thought of canceling this appointment but I am glad I made it. I am ready to get back to myself."
IF SO, I CAN HELP YOU!
I am a MEDICAL DOCTOR with specialization in general PSYCHIATRY. With over 15 years of experience as a Psychiatric clinician, I serve a broad spectrum of patients with conditions like Depression, Anxiety, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia and Stress related disorders.
When you see me, you will get:
• Comprehensive Psychiatric Assessment.
• Professional opinion about diagnosis and the best, evidence based treatment available.
• Treatment plan based on your goals –the areas that you would like to improve.
• Prescription and management of psychiatric medications, Brief Psychotherapy(Self work, CBT-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Mindfulness) and Trans-cranial Magnetic Stimulation as appropriate.
• Referral to other providers if needed or co-ordination with your therapist and Education about how to decrease your symptoms, prevent further problems and improve the quality of your life.
• My approach is of a partnership. When you see me, I become your consultant. It is your life and you are coming to me for my professional opinion. I listen to you empathically and do not label or judge. Based on the knowledge and experience, I try to give you the best medical advice.
• I try to empower you with knowledge and preventive strategies. I discuss options, pros and cons and then we decide together what strategy we want to follow. If you have side-effects or a certain treatment doesn’t work for you, then we repeat the process of discussing the options and deciding the strategy. To follow or not to follow the strategy is your choice and right. Our goal together is to help you reach your highest level of functioning.
• I use Bio/psycho/social/spiritual model i.e. consideration of biological (genetics or other medical problems), psychological (thinking patterns), social (relationships, work and finances) and spiritual (belief systems) factors.
• I believe that stress within positive zone can help us grow and bring the best out of us but when stress enters in the negative zone, it causes or worsens both physical and mental health.
• I offer practical and easily implement able advice in my workshops and writings.
• Instead of promoting one approach forcefully- I believe that different approaches may have different things to offer and I am open to people trying different approaches to better their life.
• I consider it an honor when you trust me and allow me in the journey of your life.
Dr. Rozina Lakhani’s Profile:
EDUCATION: Diplomate of American Boards of Psychiatry and Neurology, Psychiatry Residency and Masters in Public Health from University of Illinois in Chicago, Medical School from Aga Khan University.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS: American Medical Association and American Psychiatric Association.
• Shifa Health: General Psychiatrist: 2003-present
• Community Mental Health Skagit: Community psychiatrist: 1999-2003
• Skagit Valley Hospital: Hospital Psychiatrist: 1999-2003
• Residence XII: consulting medical director at women’s drug treatment program: 2008-present
• Seminar/Workshop presenter: 2000-present
POPULATION SERVED: General adults and children above 14 yrs.
If you want to help your self or some one you know, I or any of my collegues would be privileged to help. ( Currently only taking clients for TMS Treatment)
Stop suffering! Decrease Stress! Enjoy life! Be the best you can be!